Bound volume of Annual Reports from the Trustees of the Warren State Hospital for the Insane, covering the years 1881-1895.
Octavo, 786pp. Three quarter black leather, black cloth boards. Title in gilt on spine. Slight lean to text block, some rubbing and wear to covers, foxing to edges, a near fine example. Previous ownership inscription at top of front flyleaf. Includes three fold-out images, with multiple images throughout text. A detailed description of quantitative and qualitative data regarding the health and demographics of patients residing at the hospital, as well as budgetary concerns and notes from head staff members.
The State Hospital for the Insane at Warren was established in 1880 as the third mental institution for the state of Pennsylvania. Its number of residents reached a peak in 1947 with 2,562 members. The hospital is still active today; rebranded in 1920 under the name “Warren State Hospital,” with the intention to “focus on hope, healing, and recovery.”