White House photograph of President William H. Taft, inscribed while president to Stuart K. Lupton, a member of the U.S. Consular Service.
Black and white photograph, measures 17cm x 24.5cm. Photography by Harris & Hewing of Washington, D.C., with a copyright date of 1908 embossed on lower corner. Inscribed by President Taft along the bottom quarter: “For Stuart K. Lupton with best wishes of William H. Taft / The White House / April 21, 1909.”
The recipient of this photograph, Mr. Stuart K. Lupton, was a member of the United States diplomatic corp, serving as U.S. Consular to India, China, the Azores, Rome and Bulgaria. In retirement he lived in Clarksville, Tennessee, dying in 1942.