Civil War Magic Lantern Slides – The Destruction and Occupation of Atlanta. Collection of 41 Civil War Magic Lantern slides, produced from photographs and stereoviews.
Each slide measures 3.25 x 4.0 inches. Many with paper descriptions and” Atlanta Public Schools – Department of Visual Instruction” stamp on verso. One plate with crack, still stable.
Includes the following notable images:
- Rebuilding of Peachtree Street (1868)
- Atlanta Medical College (1855)
- Destruction of “Potter House” (1864)
- Destruction of Atlanta communication system (1864)
- Atlanta 5-Points Grand Opera House
- Atlanta Young Men’s Library (1879)
- Joseph Smith Family Grocer (1870s)
- Kennesaw Mountain (1887)
- Five Points when Federal Troops entered Atlanta (1864)
- Federal entrenchments at Kennesaw Mountain (1864)
- Bridge across Chattahoochee (1864)
- Federal pontoon boats crossing Chattahochee (1864)
- Federal troops in Confederate Trenches (1864)
- The Great Atlanta Fire – 4th Ward (1917)
- Smoke and burning buildings (1864 est.)
Housed in wood box, brass clip on side.