First American edition of Coronation Everest by James Morris, signed by Edmund Hillary and 16 fellow mountaineers.
Octavo, , 145pp. Blue cloth, title stamped in gilt on spine. Stated “first published in the USA” on copyright page. Faint toning to top edge of text block. A clean copy, solid text block, no markings or notations. In the publisher’s dust jacket, retail price on front flap, archival repair to closed tear on verso, chipping along top edge, a bright, near fine example. (Neate M147) An exceptional piece.
Signed by the following mountaineers:
· Edmund Hillary – 1st to reach the summit of Everest
· Peter Athans – 7 time Everest summiteer
· George Band – member of 1953 British expedition to Everest and summited Kangchenjunga in 1955
· Barry Blanchard – one of North America’s top alpinists, noted for pushing the standards of highly technical, high-risk alpine climbing in the Canadian Rockies and the Himalayas.
· Carlos P. Buhler – summited Everest and other 8000-meter peaks
· Aid Burgess – expeditions to Everest, K2 and others
· Dave Hahn – summited Everest 15 times
· Thomas Humar – solo ascent of Dhaulagiri, south face of Annapurna
· Charley Mace – climbed the Seven Summits, climbed K2 & three other 8000-meter peaks
· Glen Porzak – climbed Everest, Lohtse and the Seven Summits
· Gerry Roach – Everest summiteer in 1983 and the Seven Summits
· Nazir Sabir – climbed Mount Everest and four of the five 8000-meter peaks in Pakistan, including the world’s second highest mountain K2 in 1981, Gasherbrum II, and Broad Peak
· Ed Webster – 1st ascent of the Kangshung Face on Everest in 1988
· P.V. Scoturro – summited Everest 3 times
· Steve Swenson – climbed Everest, K2 and Nanga Parbat
· Simone Timor Moro – 1st winter ascents of Shishapangma, Makalu, Gasherbrum II and Nanga Parbat. Sumitted Everest 4 times