From the library of Field-Marshal Viscount Alanbrooke, Installation of His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh as Chancellor of the University of Edinburgh, signed by Prince Philip on the title page.
Octavo, [iv], 30pp, . Publisher’s full blue morocco, seal of the University of Edinburgh in gilt on front cover. Top edge gilt, marbled endpapers, gilt-ruled turn-ins. Includes frontispiece portrait of Prince Philip, with two additional black and white photographic illustrations from the event. Light wear to leather, point of loss at front hinge, rubbing to rear panel. The installation ceremony took place on the 4th of November 1953, at McEwan Hall, Teviot Row. Includes a letter on Buckingham Palace stationery from Michael Parker, Private Secretary to Prince Philip, issuing the book to Lord Alanbrooke. This copy is signed by Philip on the title page.
HRH Prince Philip (1921-2021) served as Chancellor of the University of Edinburgh for almost 60 years, retiring his role in 2010. At this installation ceremony in 1953, Field-Marshal Viscount Alanbrooke was conferred an honorary degree of Doctor of Laws, for his leadership during World War II and on the home front.