First American edition of Our Village by Mary Russell Mitford, arranged and engraved by James D. Cooper.
Octavo, 206pp. Publisher’s blue cloth, title in gilt on spine, decorative gilt illustrations on cover. All edges gilt. Bookplate on front endpaper. Rubbing to boards, light sunning to the spine, some loss to the tail of the spine. Stable text block. Frontispiece portrait and hundreds of black and white engravings after W.H.J. Boot and C.O. Murray.
This work first appeared in London in 1824 as “Walks in the Country,” but lacked the dramatic illustrations which made this work a classic of romantic poetry.