The Guest Register of Georgia Governor Carl E. Sanders, the 74th Governor of Georgia, from 1963-1965.
Quarto, [unpaginated]. Full brown morocco, title on front cover. Marbled endpapers.
Signed by the following dignitaries:
- President Harry Truman (2x)
- President Herbert Hoover
- Vice President Hubert Humphrey
- Nelson Rockefeller
- Senator Ted Kennedy
- Sargent Shriver
- Gov. George Wallace
- Paul Newman
- Gregory Peck
- Kathryn E. Granahan (U.S. Treasurer)
- Eddy Arnold (singer)
- Sen. Herman Talmadge
- Robert G. McCloskey (historian)
- Gen. William C. Westmoreland
- Col. Harland Sanders (KFC)
- Rock Hudson
- Gov. Patterson of Alabama (c/o Martin Luther King)
- Bobby Dodd (football)
Secretarial signatures from Martin Luther King and Elvis Presley.
Carl E. Sanders (1925-2014) was the democratic governor of Georgia from 1936-1967, the youngest governor in the nation. He was considered a progressive on racial and segregation politics for his time, embracing federal laws, but refusing to denounce segregationists. He was term limited and ran for another term as governor in 1970, losing the democratic primary to Jimmy Carter. Provenance: Ahlers & Ogletree Auctions, Lot 1406.